Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Disney Princess

So for some reason the stars have finially aligned for me to make a Belle costume... along with a good chunk of the costuming world it seems! Already 2012 is shaping up to be the year of Titanic frocks & Disney Princesses. It’s funny how every so often these things happen spontaneously - have we all been drinking the same water or what?!

I think it's awesome that other costumers are making Disney Princesses to wear at various events in 2012. (I'll be at Dress U (maybe the tea?) & Costume College (Ice Cream Social I think)). The more the merrier I say - I love it when costumers make the same thing because, in fact, it's never the same. Even with the same inspiration (an illustration, an extent gown, a fashion plate) we always end up putting our own personalities in our work (that combination of talent, taste, skill, fabric finding-fu and budget will always make your costume scream "you"). I think it's great fun to see the variation and different twists on the same theme.

Sadly there is already some walking on egg-shells going on with the various groups that are forming. Having to fear the potential of people being petty and proprietary (the "it was my idea to copy that first!" syndrome) is a such a shame. No drama has actually erupted, just the fear of it, and I hope it stays that way. Seriously people, the costuming/cosplay world is plenty big enough for all of us to be Disney Princesses in 2012 if we want to.

In that spirit has created a community for us the share and cheer each other on - come join the fun! What Disney or Fairytale Princess costume have you always wanted to make?

2 comments:

  1. I like your comment on the same costumes never being quite the same! So true!
    The princess dress I've always wanted to make? This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9_63Pah01s
    Or this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwL4MgfXER8&feature=related
    But I'm not sure I'd actually be able to wear it. The whole thing - Libuše Šafránková's Cinderella - is so iconic, it would almost feel like blasphemy. Disney princesses come nowhere near to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t seen that version of Cinderella before, interesting costumes. Too bad there are many full length shots of them!

    ReplyDelete